Tom Raftery is a Global VP for SAP, and Innovation Evangelist, Futurist, and an international Keynote speaker. Tom is responsible for demonstrating the vital importance the Innovation has for enterprises and SAP’s strategy and vision to enable organizations to realize the benefits.
Prior to joining SAP, Tom worked for a number of companies at Group IT EnergyManager/CTO level, and as an Industry Analyst. Tom is also a regular Guest Lecturer at the International Instituto San Telmo Business School in Seville. Tom is also the creator and host of The Digital Supply Chain podcast discussing thought leadership, best practices, and the latest innovations in delivering a sustainable supply chain.
Listen to the full discussion here:
- Listen on Stitcher
Connect with the Guest:
Tom Raftery: Linkedin
Some of the highlights from the podcast:
- Using solar energy and electric cars
- Substituting electricity for diesel in buses
- Prioritizing energy efficiency and zero-emission
- The cost of wind energy has fallen 50% since 2012, solar has fallen 87% and lithium-ion batteries 90%.
- How the crisis shifts the organization’s agenda towards energy efficiency and sustainability
- [01:34] I wanted to start with a short intro of yourself and your current role with SAP
- [03:40] As an industry analyst, I led the sustainability and energy practice of RedMonk for seven years and did a pretty good job at it.
- [04:33] I would be happy if we can go into some examples of some of the most exciting innovation projects that you are involved in now with SAP and how are they impacting your clients.
- [05:59] In my house, in Spain, in the last couple of years, I put a five-kilowatt solar array on the roof of my house and I also bought an electric car.
- [08:35] Amply Power is a company in America that service fleet managers- people who are running fleets of vehicles. What they do for those fleet managers is they manage the fueling of these fleets when they’re electric.
- [12:25] Substituting electricity for diesel in buses, 18 wheeler trucks, and refuge collection cars is a huge win- there’s a huge economic benefit and there are also emission savings and there’s reduced maintenance.
- [15:16] Are there certain trends in how executives are prioritizing energy efficiency and sustainability on their strategic agenda during this time of crisis?
- [16:58] When we do come out of the pandemic, there will be an even greater focus on sustainability and climate change because the younger generation saw there importance.
- [18:51] The cost of renewables is dropping every year, the cost of wind energy has fallen 50% since 2012, the cost of solar has fallen 87% in the same time and the cost of lithium-ion batteries has fallen 90%.
- [22:51] How can executives stay on top of the latest news trends, correct information with regards to sustainability, energy efficiency and so on that can impact their businesses?
- [24:10] How can the listeners find your project and listen to your podcast? Where can they find you?
About the Host:
The host, Andrei Palamariu is the founder of Supplify where he and his team works on building a platform to connect the supply chain tech ecosystem. His most interesting discussions with the clients are focused on implementing the best technology, digital transformation, company growth and expansion, turnarounds, and product and business development.
Alcott Global connects and upgrades the supply chain ecosystem by finding the right talent through executive search, developing talent through learning solutions, and meeting supply chain technology needs through a comprehensive crunch base marketplace.
The supply chain executive search has been our focus since the very beginning, offering recruitment services for top-tier supply chain roles at every level of the end-to-end supply chain: plan, source / procure, make, and deliver. Our consultants have years of experience in placing top talent, in North America, LATAM, Europe, the Middle East & Africa, and APAC, and besides speed, one of our biggest strengths is our network within the supply chain industry, and we capitalize on it to find the best solutions.
Through the years, we have grown as an organization and our offerings with it. One of our initiatives, the learning solutions- training and supply chain academy, is focused on transforming leadership- self-leadership, executive presence, influence capital, and business acumen. Through Supplify, we aim to match corporations with the top technology companies to solve their supply chain and logistics challenges with a focus on innovation and digital transformation.
We are in constant touch with the leaders in supply chain, inviting them to inspire the supply chain professionals in thought-provoking podcast episodes and events, and showcasing what is possible at the yearly Leaders in Supply Chain Awards.