Stefan Reidy is the founder and the CEO of the Swiss Arviem AG, helping manufacturers, exporters and importers to reveal inefficiencies in their supply chains by enabling transparent global trade via supply chain visibility solutions and real-time cargo monitoring services. Stefan has over 20 years of experience with innovative technologies and business models in the supply chain which he gathered both by working for corporations and in the startup environment.
Arviem answers the need of organizations for more transparency and visibility in their supply chains. They reveal the flow of goods and finances in the supply chain by providing an independent, real-time, end-to-end cargo monitoring and supply chain visibility service. Arviem is offering a full, carefree service to customers that allows them to track all their global shipments, regardless of the transportation mode or the logistics service provider, on one single platform. Arviem offers services around working capital optimization, inventory financing, supply chain risk management and carbon footprint monitoring of logistics.
Listen to the full discussion here:
Connect with the Guest:
Stefan Reidy: LinkedIn
Some of the highlights from the podcast:
- How is Arviem helping their clients during this time of crisis
- The importance of visibility and reliable data to the industry
- Arviem’s working capital financing solutions
- Managing carbon footprint with the help of technology
- Trusting the “gut feeling” in hiring talent
- [01:53] How did you end up creating Arviem more than 12 years ago? How does it add value to your clients?
- [03:47] What are the main challenges that you are trying to solve for your clients?
- [05:30] Not having the visibility and not knowing where the product quality could be impacted while cargo is in transit can have a major impact on the production of the product.
- [08:02] Can share a specific example of how visibility and reliable data is helping companies during this time of crisis? How does this information help?
- [11:27] If you knew where your cargo is and if you knew the status of your cargo and if you see your options, you can start optimizing your virtual warehouse in transit.
- [12:15] From a tech-based service provider perspective, what industries are most affected in the crisis? What markets did you see have taken quite a big hit? Are we expected to see any shortages when it comes to the food supply chain?
- [15:11] Can you tell us about Arviem’s working capital financing solutions? How does this help clients in general specifically during this time?
- [16:09] I recently read that in global trade financing, there is roughly 1.9 trillion USD annually missing to finance cargo in transition.
- [17:59] What are some advice or some of the priorities you advise your clients to focus on during this period?
- [22:32] You have some interesting examples of how technology and data can help organizations lower or better manage their carbon footprint. Can you share a bit more?
- [23:07] I haven’t really seen a business model which says I can save so much CO2 and also save cost. I haven’t seen that yet, but that doesn’t mean that we don’t have to still look at it and start working on it.
- [26:44] What are the priorities for Arviem for the next 3 to 6 months? What do you want to achieve?
- [28:46] Sometimes global supply chain processes are 300 years old and now based on this crisis, it becomes obvious that we have the chance to change that. And that’s something we would like to work on in the next six months.
- [29:26] Before the crisis happened, what are your objectives in the next five years?
- [33:06] From a leadership perspective, how do you select or what are the important elements that you look at when you’re considering hiring for the company or even for your direct reporting team?
- [34:57] Having the first conversation doesn’t have to be about the skills and where they specialized in because I will never be able to challenge him there. But if I realize that this person fits our culture and my gut feeling says yes, then we’re on the right track.
- [35:32] You have quite a few elements that indicate a person’s character or values that would fit in the culture. What are those important elements?
- [36:56] Working from home is a big topic. How do you tackle this? What are some tips that you can give to our audience around how to do it efficiently?
- [39:35] If you don’t have that situation anymore, where people can talk to each other, then we will face a challenge. That would have a terrible impact on the power of innovation in the company.
- [40:43] What is the best piece of advice that you have received throughout your entrepreneurial career?
- [42:52] Something I experienced from the people I admired in the past, and still admiring is that these people are humble, they are 100% honest, and they tried to serve others than making benefit out of them
- [44:13] What should supply chain professionals expect in the next few months?
About the Host:
The host, Andrei Palamariu is the founder of Supplify where he and his team works on building a platform to connect the supply chain tech ecosystem. His most interesting discussions with the clients are focused on implementing the best technology, digital transformation, company growth and expansion, turnarounds, and product and business development.
Alcott Global connects and upgrades the supply chain ecosystem by finding the right talent through executive search, developing talent through learning solutions, and meeting supply chain technology needs through a comprehensive crunch base marketplace.
The supply chain executive search has been our focus since the very beginning, offering recruitment services for top-tier supply chain roles at every level of the end-to-end supply chain: plan, source / procure, make, and deliver. Our consultants have years of experience in placing top talent, in North America, LATAM, Europe, the Middle East & Africa, and APAC, and besides speed, one of our biggest strengths is our network within the supply chain industry, and we capitalize on it to find the best solutions.
Through the years, we have grown as an organization and our offerings with it. One of our initiatives, the learning solutions- training and supply chain academy, is focused on transforming leadership- self-leadership, executive presence, influence capital, and business acumen. Through Supplify, we aim to match corporations with the top technology companies to solve their supply chain and logistics challenges with a focus on innovation and digital transformation.
We are in constant touch with the leaders in supply chain, inviting them to inspire the supply chain professionals in thought-provoking podcast episodes and events, and showcasing what is possible at the yearly Leaders in Supply Chain Awards.