Tom Schmitt former Board Member – Contract Logistics and Global Chief Commercial Officer for DB Schenker
DB Schenker is one of the top 3 global 3PL companies in the world with operations in 140 countries. As the Management Board Member responsible for the $3bn+ Contract Logistics business, Tom is in charge of a global team of 22,000 logisticians with continued and accelerated profitable growth. In the first year of Tom’s leadership, DB Schenker Contract Logistics grew by 17 percent topline and saw a 20 percent growth to the bottom line. Tom has served also previously as President and CEO of Purolator in Canada, as well as had a long career in FedEx, having led as CEO the supply chain division. Also, Tom is a published author, having written the leadership book Simple Solutions: Harness the Power of Passion and Simplicity to Get Results. Which a great resource of leadership principles.
Listen to the full discussion here:
Connect with the Guest:
Tom Schmitt: Linkedin
Stay tuned as we cover:
- Top strategic directions that Schenker is trying to achieve in the next years. The top goals in the company by 2020.
- Contract Logistics. Where does Tom see the emerging markets.
- How DB Schenker customers expect them to use all the information, data, that we have to their advantage. Using big data and capacity planning.
- The importance of – People, service, profit in that sequence.
- Talking about left brain and right brain. How to access both types of thinking.
- Advice for a 23 year old finishing collage – Think of your first move and your second move as an option expanding move.
Part 1 – Industry Trends:
- [01:18] Top strategic directions that Schenker is trying to achieve in the next years. The top goals in the company by 2020?
- [04:41] Technology is rapidly transforming the industry. Which technology trend do you think will have the most impact by 2020?
- [07:20] What are the challenges DB Schenker is faced when implementing and adapting and transforming?
- [09:58] Current changes that your clients are struggling with at the moment and how is DB Schenker’s currently addressing some of them?
- [12:12] Contract Logistics. Where do you see the emerging markets?
- [12:44] On building a new regional office near the largest airport in the world that is build in Dubai.
- [15:26] If you were an investor, which logistics technology-related start up would you invest in and why?
Part 2 – Talent and Recruitment:
- [17:10] What types of skills are you actually focused on finding, developing or importing into DB Schenker?
- [17:44] Talking about the logistician of the future.
- [20:39] How our customers expect us to use all the information, data, that we have to their advantage. Using big data and capacity planning.
- [23:40] How you select your leadership team. What type of attributes are you looking for when it comes to appointing one of the top leaders in your team?
- [24:00] The importance of – People, service, profit in that sequence. Talking about the right people who can react accordingly in difficult situations – geopolitical or natural disasters (ex: Hurricanes)
- [26:44] Culture. What would be some of the top elements and mindsets, that you’re trying to instill and enforce?
Part 3 – Personal success stories and habits:
- [28:59] Any other principles you follow in your day to day work, in your leadership work?
- [29:32] Talking about the boy scout notion of leaving a place better than you found it.
- [32:00] Habits that contributes to your success? Do you do something on a regular basis?
- [32:23] Talking about left brain and right brain. How to access both types of thinking.
- [34:05] Which book do you typically give to people?
- [35:22] Any supply chain resources, websites, reports that you use to keep yourself updated with the latest development in the industry?
- [37:03] If you could give some advice to 23-year old graduating university wanting to achieve a great career in logistics, what would it be?
- [37:18] Advice for a 23 year old finishing collage – Think of your first move and your second move as an option expanding move.
Quote from the Episode:
Soundbite from the Episode:
About the Host:
The host, Radu Palamariu is the co-author of “From Source to Sold – Stories of Leadership in Supply Chain”. He has been named one of the top 3 Global Supply Chain Influencers on LinkedIn and was featured in Forbes, Bloomberg, WEF, Bangkok Post, and MIT Supply Chain Talent magazine. Radu invites executives to share stories and perspectives around technology, logistics, e-commerce, supply chain, and manufacturing, and their views on how the future will look.
Alcott Global connects and upgrades the supply chain ecosystem by finding the right talent through executive search, developing talent through learning solutions, and meeting supply chain technology needs through a comprehensive crunch base marketplace.
The supply chain executive search has been our focus since the very beginning, offering recruitment services for top-tier supply chain roles at every level of the end-to-end supply chain: plan, source / procure, make, and deliver. Our consultants have years of experience in placing top talent, in North America, LATAM, Europe, the Middle East & Africa, and APAC, and besides speed, one of our biggest strengths is our network within the supply chain industry, and we capitalize on it to find the best solutions.
Through the years, we have grown as an organization and our offerings with it. One of our initiatives, the learning solutions- training and supply chain academy, is focused on transforming leadership- self-leadership, executive presence, influence capital, and business acumen. Through Supplify, we aim to match corporations with the top technology companies to solve their supply chain and logistics challenges with a focus on innovation and digital transformation.
We are in constant touch with the leaders in supply chain, inviting them to inspire the supply chain professionals in thought-provoking podcast episodes and events, and showcasing what is possible at the yearly Leaders in Supply Chain Awards.
Episode #01: Didier Chenneveau Executive Director Ernst & Young
Episode #05: Tim Wickmann former CEO of MCC Maersk
Episode #06: Bjorn Vang Jensen Global Head of Logistics at Electrolux