Jochen joined Lufthansa as CIO in 2015. Prior to that, he worked as a Head of Business Application Management Investments & Operations Europe Allianz Global Investors for more than 12 years. He also worked in different leadership capacities for Dresdner Bank and Credit Suisse.
Listen to the full discussion here:
Connect with the Guests:
Jochen Göttelmann: Linkedin
Some of the highlights from the podcast:
- The impact of the Coronavirus to Lufthansa Cargo
- Adopting a dynamic pricing strategy and partners in Asia
- Developing ecommerce using Heyworld, Lufthansa’s wholly-owned subsidiary
- The importance of cybersecurity to Lufthansa Cargo
- How digital transformation helps with employer branding
- [01:28] How did Coronavirus impact Lufthansa Cargo? How is it mitigating this situation?
- [04:05] What are some of your achievements this year in the direction of digitizing the company?
- [05:15] The most lighthouse project we launched late last year was the dynamic pricing, which is directly calculated complex algorithm to give the spot price which can be booked directly by our clients.
- [06:06] There were a couple of pilot markets that you already tested. Can you share with us some of the challenges you faced and some of your early wins?
- [08:54] How did you get your sales team to embark on this journey of transformation? Were there any concerns?
- [10:28] It is more like giving them a higher value, as well as our clients and not so much replacing them by algorithms.
- [11:33] How does Lufthansa Cargo plan to use heyworld to develop the ecommerce side?
- [13:57] Are there some strategies that Lufthansa Cargo uses to offset or mitigate risk on certain partnerships that you do? How do you manage to balance it?
- [16:12] We try to digitize our processes and business model. Not digitization for the sake of digitization but to make us more reliable, more stable and also a little bit less labor-intense for our operational business spot.
- [17:17] The partnership with Teleport helps you expand your network. Is there a certain long term strategy behind this? Do you want to focus more on Asia as opposed to other regions?
- [20:53] How do you approach the topic of cybersecurity in Lufthansa Cargo?
- [22:23] It’s always easier to protect the highly standardized, highly professional hyper-scale operating environment than you could do with a rather small and dedicated environment.
- [24:32] How do you see all this digital transformation playing a part in helping you with your employer branding and making Lufthansa Cargo a more attractive employer?
- [28:11] We are focusing especially on people combining IT and business skills to bring our industry forward.
- [28:21] Can share a little bit of your personal journey? What got you excited about the journey of Lufthansa Cargo that prompted you to make the shift in the industry?
- [32:16] What would be some pieces of advice that you could share for younger professionals that were most helpful for you in building your career?
- [32:26] Don’t try to think what’s happening in 3 to 5 or even 10 years, you have to know what’s happening next year. So rely on your attitude and mindset, work on your skills every day, be open and the future is yours.
Quote from the Episode:
Soundbite from the Episode:
About the Host:
The host, Radu Palamariu is the co-author of “From Source to Sold – Stories of Leadership in Supply Chain”. He has been named one of the top 3 Global Supply Chain Influencers on LinkedIn and was featured in Forbes, Bloomberg, WEF, Bangkok Post, and MIT Supply Chain Talent magazine. Radu invites executives to share stories and perspectives around technology, logistics, e-commerce, supply chain, and manufacturing, and their views on how the future will look.
Alcott Global connects and upgrades the supply chain ecosystem by finding the right talent through executive search, developing talent through learning solutions, and meeting supply chain technology needs through a comprehensive crunch base marketplace.
The supply chain executive search has been our focus since the very beginning, offering recruitment services for top-tier supply chain roles at every level of the end-to-end supply chain: plan, source / procure, make, and deliver. Our consultants have years of experience in placing top talent, in North America, LATAM, Europe, the Middle East & Africa, and APAC, and besides speed, one of our biggest strengths is our network within the supply chain industry, and we capitalize on it to find the best solutions.
Through the years, we have grown as an organization and our offerings with it. One of our initiatives, the learning solutions- training and supply chain academy, is focused on transforming leadership- self-leadership, executive presence, influence capital, and business acumen. Through Supplify, we aim to match corporations with the top technology companies to solve their supply chain and logistics challenges with a focus on innovation and digital transformation.
We are in constant touch with the leaders in supply chain, inviting them to inspire the supply chain professionals in thought-provoking podcast episodes and events, and showcasing what is possible at the yearly Leaders in Supply Chain Awards.
Episode #51: Wolfgang Lehmacher Former Head of Supply Chain and Transport Industries, World Economic Forum
Episode #61: Lidia Yan CEO and Co-Founder of NEXT Trucking
Episode #69: Alex Capri International Trade Expert, NUS Business School