DHL Consulting is the independent strategic supply chain and management consultancy of Deutsche Post DHL Group, employing 150 consultants all over the world.
Sabine has been dedicated to the logistics sector for close to two decades. After she joined Deutsche Post DHL she took several roles as Consultant, Project Manager, Associate Partner, after that in 2003 she was appointed SVP Head of the Corporate Organization. Starting with 2010 CEO DHL Consulting. Together with her team at DHL Consulting, they passionately guide global logistics executives to effectively tackle and overcome supply chain challenges.
In her own words: “As leaders, we cannot ignore the severe transformational changes this field is going through, which require us to rethink the way we do business. Digitalization, big data, artificial intelligence, robotics, IoT, drones, blockchain, and the circular economy will redefine the supply chain and logistics ecosystem. “
Beyond her logistics career, she considers the advancement of women in executive roles to be a fundamental requirement for business success. She is personally committed to helping female leaders succeed and promote more diversity in management teams.
Listen to the full discussion here:
Connect with the Guest:
Some of the highlights from the podcast:
- Client challenges – automatization and digitization. Lowering costs – because logistics is a low margin industry – being efficient is a big topic.
- What digital solutions are applicable/mature today to boost up logistics performance?
- IoT Impact in Logistics – improving delivery times, delivery customization.
- Can you give us some examples of successful RPA (Robotic Process Automation) implementation?
- If you were the Chief Supply Chain Office of a Fortune 500 Manufacturer that still relies on Excel data, what would you do to improve the Supply Chain?
- What’s the end game for Digital Logistics? Where’s the disruption?
- Warehouse networks fully automated – no humans needed.
- How long before digitalization will help make the logistics process paper-less? DHL Consulting took 1.5 years to get paperless and they are a consulting business.
- How do you work with startups? – Incubation projects for DHL.
- What do we do with the humans once automation takes over? Talking upskilling people and making sure we allocate new responsibilities
- How to keep learning? Linkedin Learning and Podcasts! I am a Podcast junkie!
- You get what you have the courage to ask for! Advice for young people starting their career.
- [02:02] How did you end up in Supply Chain and Logistics, more precisely in Consulting?
- [03:15] What does DHL Consulting do within the DHL Group?
- [05:32] What are the main challenges or hot topics that your clients face at the moment?
- [07:11] Which digital solutions are applicable or mature today to boost up logistics performance?
- [09:14] Can you give us some examples of successful RPA (Robotic Process Automation) implementation?
- [11:55] If you were the Chief Supply Chain Office of a Fortune 500 Manufacturer that still relies on Excel data, what would you do to improve the Supply Chain?
- [13:41] What’s the end game for Digital Logistics? Where’s the disruption?
- [17:16] How long before digitization will help make the logistics process paper-less?
- [21:22] What to outsource and what to do develop in-house in terms of digitization projects?
- [27:55] How can you best collaborate with startups as a corporation?
- [35:55] What do we do with the humans once automation takes over?
- [47:55] How do you manage to keep up on actual use cases for digitalization, new trends, best cases in logistics and how much time do you spend with reading/research in comparison to consulting and managing?
- [51:50] Improving diversity in the logistics sector – why is it taking so long and what should boards do to accelerate?
- [58:52] What is the best piece of advice that you have received throughout your professional journey?
Quote from the Episode:
About the Host:
The host, Radu Palamariu is the co-author of “From Source to Sold – Stories of Leadership in Supply Chain”. He has been named one of the top 3 Global Supply Chain Influencers on LinkedIn and was featured in Forbes, Bloomberg, WEF, Bangkok Post, and MIT Supply Chain Talent magazine. Radu invites executives to share stories and perspectives around technology, logistics, e-commerce, supply chain, and manufacturing, and their views on how the future will look.
Alcott Global connects and upgrades the supply chain ecosystem by finding the right talent through executive search, developing talent through learning solutions, and meeting supply chain technology needs through a comprehensive crunch base marketplace.
The supply chain executive search has been our focus since the very beginning, offering recruitment services for top-tier supply chain roles at every level of the end-to-end supply chain: plan, source / procure, make, and deliver. Our consultants have years of experience in placing top talent, in North America, LATAM, Europe, the Middle East & Africa, and APAC, and besides speed, one of our biggest strengths is our network within the supply chain industry, and we capitalize on it to find the best solutions.
Through the years, we have grown as an organization and our offerings with it. One of our initiatives, the learning solutions- training and supply chain academy, is focused on transforming leadership- self-leadership, executive presence, influence capital, and business acumen. Through Supplify, we aim to match corporations with the top technology companies to solve their supply chain and logistics challenges with a focus on innovation and digital transformation.
We are in constant touch with the leaders in supply chain, inviting them to inspire the supply chain professionals in thought-provoking podcast episodes and events, and showcasing what is possible at the yearly Leaders in Supply Chain Awards.
Episode #15: Dr. John Gattorna Executive Chairman for Gattorna Alignment
Episode #20: Paul Srivorakul Co-Founder & Group CEO aCommerce
Episode #31: Zvi Schreiber CEO at Freightos