Keith is an associate professor at the NUS School of Computing, where he has two mandates: teaching and consulting. He has a passion for engaging and inspiring students to achieve more. He teaches Supply Chain Visualization, and Purchasing and Materials Management and connects students with companies at all levels to bring the theory to life in the business world.
His book, Actionable Intelligence: A Guide to Delivering Business Results with Big Data Fast!, provides expert guidance to establish a culture of fact-based decision making and appropriate high-speed governance.
From 1999 to 2012 Keith worked for the Estee Lauder Companies, Global Supply Chain Center of Excellence, tasked to lead the strategic changes to supply chain to improve the overall performance of the company. Keith established and led Global Supply Chain initiatives: Supply Chain Intelligence, Knowledge Management, Transformation Governance, and Data Management. All to achieve end-to-end supply chain visibility.
As part of his service mandate with School of Computing, he consults companies on Innovation, Customer Centricity, and Actionable Intelligence. Selected examples are Retail & Supply Chain: GUCCI, P&G, Bollore, Panasonic & SAP and Financial Services: KPMG, Goldman Sachs, DBS, and China Construction Bank.
Outside of work, he is an avid sportsman, author, private pilot, fencer, and family man. Born in Long Island, he has spent most of his life in New York till moving to Singapore in 2012 where he currently resides.
Listen to the full discussion here:
Connect with the Guest:
Some of the highlights from the podcast:
- Why the hype with AI is connected with the “Emperor’s New Clothes” story?
- Responding Instantly to a Customer’s request should be the top priority for any executive in Supply Chain
- Mistakes made by Supply Chain executives implementing digitization strategies? – You change the hardware but not the software
- Importance of Post Governance for Intelligence (Data) – don’t waste time in the bureaucracy – show the measurable deliverables
- Don’t hire data scientists from outside – build them from the inside – they need to understand the company inside-out
- Talking Blockchain: There’s hardly a Judge in the World that will look at a Smart Contract!
- The best skill for anyone to have at this moment is The ability to Google things!
- [01:45] What attracted you to Asia? New York seemed to have treated you well. Why choose to leave the US behind and head for Singapore?
- [03:43] How did your consulting experience help you choose this path to become an expert in the supply chain, procurement, big data, and machine learning? I know you used to consult big banking clients in the past – Goldman Sachs and Solomon Brothers.
- [05:24] What were the main challenges and learning points from your experience with Estee Lauder? You served a few supply chain related roles and your last role was Global Supply Chain Intelligence Lead. Almost 13 years of your professional life dedicated to this company. Any key lessons you can share with our audience?
- [13:32] Let’s talk about your book for a moment -“Actionable Intelligence: A Guide to Delivering Business Results With Big Data Fast.” – How does this term – “Actionable Intelligence” come to life?
- [17:05] What are some of the biggest mistakes executives make when implementing big data and AI in their supply chain?
- [19:50] Is AI used as buzz word too much? Can you share what is your opinion on the hype with AI?
- [26:20] If a Chief Supply Chain needs to implement next year to improve their operations – what should it be? AI, machine learning, big data, blockchain?
- [30:59] Let’s go into some examples of where strategy and technology meet and create a greater impact on the customer delight process. Maybe you can share some case studies.
- [37:43] What are the mistakes that you see executives in Supply Chain making when implementing digitization strategies?
- [46:29] What should executives focus on when hiring in Supply Chain? What are some of the key skills you see as critical for any company’s success?
- [55:37] What are some of the skills you are teaching your students to take on to be best prepared for the future?
Mentioned in the podcast:
- x.ai – Our AI software eases the pain of scheduling across your entire company
Episode #24: Blake Larson MD International Lalamove
Episode #29: Razat Gaurav CEO of LLamasoft
Episode #39: Richard White CEO of WiseTech Global and CargoWise