Marco Civardi is a seasoned logistics professional with over 21 years of experience working in general management covering sales, trade lane development, and key account management.
Marco is currently Area Managing Director for Damco Vietnam, Cambodia, Myanmar and Laos. Marco is a hands-on leader and has built strong and stable businesses in VCML which are key markets for the Damco global business.
Marco’s previous role was Regional Head of the Fashion Vertical for Asia Pacific based in Tokyo for Panalpina. In this role, Marco led a virtual team of fashion’s sales experts across many countries, including Korea, Japan, Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia, Philippines, Vietnam, Thailand, India, and Australia. Prior to that, he was the Head of Marketing & Sales for Panalpina Japan. In addition to Japan, he lived and worked in Italy, Hong Kong, and Australia.
Marco is Italian and speaks several languages, including Japanese. He received an MBA from the Macquarie Graduate School of Management in Sydney. Additionally, he received a Certificate in Supply Chain Management from the Cranfield School of Management in UK.
Listen to the full discussion here:
Connect with the Guest:
Marco Civardi: Linkedin
Stay tuned as we cover:
- Challenges and opportunities in the emerging markets
- Technology and how important ‘myDamco’ system is
- Continuous improvement case studies
- Finding talent in emerging markets
- Some of the skills that logistics professionals need to have to stay relevant in the long term?
- Main drivers for culture shaping
- The switch from sales and marketing to a full PnL role
Part 1 – Industry Trends:
- [02:02] Tell us a bit about each market specifically and some key facts about doing business in each country.
- [04:03] What are some of the challenges and opportunities in the emerging markets you lead? What would you say stands out as unexpected – maybe some stories about pleasant and unpleasant surprises you had when starting.
- [12:12] Let’s talk about technology. What is “myDamco” (a system that is used to keep track of orders from clients) and how does it improve your operations?
- [13:28] Any continuous improvement case studies that you want to share?
- [17:10] You lead one of the most successful clusters in the region. Can you share some of the ‘secrets‘ that made the cluster so efficient?
Part 2 – Talent and Recruitment:
- [18:43] Finding talent in emerging markets is different from finding talent in mature markets like Singapore or Europe. What are some of the challenges and opportunities you find?
- [23:25] New technologies are changing logistics at a faster pace than ever before. What are some of the skills that logistics professionals need to have to stay relevant in the long term?
- [26:03] Are there some leadership principles that you follow in your day to day work?
- [28:00] As a leader, you are one of the main drivers for culture. What are some of the key elements that you focus on when it comes to shaping culture?
Part 3 – Personal success stories and habits:
- [31:30] In your career you made the switch from sales and marketing to a full PnL role for a major important cluster. How did you manage to do that and what were your key learnings?
- [34:50] If you could give some advice to a 23-year-old graduating university and wanting to achieve a great career in logistics, what would it be?
About the Host:
The host, Radu Palamariu is the co-author of “From Source to Sold – Stories of Leadership in Supply Chain”. He has been named one of the top 3 Global Supply Chain Influencers on LinkedIn and was featured in Forbes, Bloomberg, WEF, Bangkok Post, and MIT Supply Chain Talent magazine. Radu invites executives to share stories and perspectives around technology, logistics, e-commerce, supply chain, and manufacturing, and their views on how the future will look.
Alcott Global connects and upgrades the supply chain ecosystem by finding the right talent through executive search, developing talent through learning solutions, and meeting supply chain technology needs through a comprehensive crunch base marketplace.
The supply chain executive search has been our focus since the very beginning, offering recruitment services for top-tier supply chain roles at every level of the end-to-end supply chain: plan, source / procure, make, and deliver. Our consultants have years of experience in placing top talent, in North America, LATAM, Europe, the Middle East & Africa, and APAC, and besides speed, one of our biggest strengths is our network within the supply chain industry, and we capitalize on it to find the best solutions.
Through the years, we have grown as an organization and our offerings with it. One of our initiatives, the learning solutions- training and supply chain academy, is focused on transforming leadership- self-leadership, executive presence, influence capital, and business acumen. Through Supplify, we aim to match corporations with the top technology companies to solve their supply chain and logistics challenges with a focus on innovation and digital transformation.
We are in constant touch with the leaders in supply chain, inviting them to inspire the supply chain professionals in thought-provoking podcast episodes and events, and showcasing what is possible at the yearly Leaders in Supply Chain Awards.
Episode #15: Dr. John Gattorna Executive Chairman for Gattorna Alignment
Episode #26: Troels Randbøll Støvring CEO of Twill Logistics
Episode #31: Zvi Schreiber CEO at Freightos